FREQUENTLY ASKED CUSTOMER QUESTIONS
DO I NEED AN ESTATE SALE?
People have many reasons for requiring an Estate Sale: Death of a Loved One, Estate Inheritance, Downsizing, Senior Downsizing or Moves, Work Transfer, and/or Divorce just to name a few. Our Team will be happy to come and discuss your situation at no cost and with no obligation. We CUSTOMIZE every Estate Sale to meet YOUR needs.
Estate Liquidations are complicated, time-consuming, and emotional. You will be much more intimately involved with your estate liquidation firm than possibly any other vendor helping you through this transitional period. Make sure that you pay attention to all of the points noted below, but also make sure that the company you choose is a good fit for your family’s personality and communication style. Above all else, both you and the company you choose need to feel that you can trust each other. This will help ensure a smooth and successful time spent planning an estate sale!
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREPAR FOR AN ESTATE SALE?
Just a few things to keep in mind when considering an Estate Sale:
- Decide which items will not be sold and remove or secure these items before the work begins.
- Remember an estate sale involves the whole house, Yellow Bird needs time to plan, arrange and display all sale items from the beginning.
- Beware that, if the sale is in an apartment or condominium, we must comply with the applicable regulations.
- Do not throw anything away. You may be surprised at the value of discarded items.
- You will need an Active Homeowners Insurance Policy.
When Comparing Companies, Ask Each The Same Questions …..
Make a list of questions to ask each company. That way you are comparing apples to apples. Here are some questions you may want to consider asking:
- How many days do you think it will take to set up?
- What is your commission?
- Are there fees besides your commission?
- Do you have insurance? What types?
- How long after the sale will I be paid?
- Do you have an appraiser on staff or access to one?
- How many people do you generally have staffed for a sale like mine?
- How will my home be left? Broom Clean, Empty, etc.
- Do you or your employees buy items?
- Do you have a contract?
- Do you pre-sell or allow people early entry?
- How many days will the sale itself be?
- When would you be able to do the sale (dates and times)?
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OR WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
- The first step is the Initial Consultation. This will last around an hour.
- Next we will set up a day to Photograph the Estate. The can take from one hour to a full day depending on the size and organization of the Estate. This is when we set up your schedule …. Work days and sale dates.
- During work days, your Yellow Bird Team will set up the Estate, and research the value of items (we bring out our own Hotspot for internet connection) all in preparation for the Estate Sale … All done in a very respectful and professional manner. We bring all tables and equipment needed to operate the sale. A typical workday will be around 6 to 8 hours.
- The actual sale will be one, two, three, or four days … the size of the estate will determine the number of days. Sale hours are typically from 9 AM to 4 PM but can vary depending on the size and location of the estate.
- Once the Estate Sale is over the clearing process can take place. This can be done by Clearing Companies or the family can handle this process. We provide you a complete list of both charities that can pick up items and a list of companies that can provide this service for a fee.
- Yellow Bird will pay the family the week following the Estate Sale.
HOW LONG DOES THE PROCESS TAKE?
This depends on the size of the Estate to be liquidated. Our Team can generally can have a home set up and ready for a sale in 3-8 days and the sale can take place over one, two, three, or four days. We like to have as much lead time as possible for better marketing. Larger professional estate sales may require an additional week due to longer setup time and extended pricing research.
WHAT DO YOU SELL AND WHAT DO YOU NOT SELL?
Yellow Bird will offer for sale, ANY item in an Estate except underclothes. Automobiles (we handle the paperwork), Firearms (we are a licensed Federal Firearms Dealer), Antiques, Artwork, Jewelry, Coins, Bric-A-Brac, China, Rugs, Vintage Clothing, Newer Clothing, Kitchenware, Silver and Gold, Collector items, Furniture, Tools, Books, Black Americana items, Military Items from any era … or everything in someone’s home or business. Again, DON’T throw anything away ….!
DO I HAVE TO SELL EVERYTHING?
No, of course not. Keep what you want, we will sell the rest. If an item cannot be moved from the property we will locate it in an area that nobody will have access to. We also can label individual items “Not For Sale” so everyone knows what is and what is not for sale.
WHAT IF I HAVE EXPENSIVE ITEMS?
Expensive, high-ticket items will attract more buyers to your sale. We take care in pointing out these items as a way to help educate you on what makes a sale, a GREAT Sale. As estate sale experts, we do extensive research to ensure that these items will not be undersold. If you choose to keep a minimum sale price for certain items we will not sell those particular items for less than your minimum requirement.
SHOULD I THROW JUNK AWAY?
NO …Do not throw anything away! One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. We will go through everything in your home or business;, you will be shocked at what people buy. Also, certain items that you might regard as ordinary may be highly collectible and possibly valuable.
DO YOU OFFER DELIVERY FOR THE BIG ITEMS?
YES! Our Estate Sales Team offers a same-day in-house delivery service to our buyers for a minimal fee. We use this service as a selling tool and if necessary will include it in the purchase of larger higher priced items. This service proves effective in handling our buyer’s concerns over how to get large, bulky items relocated.
WHAT ADVERTISING WILL BE DONE?
We always place advertisements on many online platforms such as EstateSales.NET, Estatesales.ORG, and Estatesale.COM plus many other platforms. We have thousands of followers in our database who also receive weekly emails about YOUR sale. Large professional signs are placed strategically to direct customers to the sale. All sales are listed on our web site on the home page and under the sales section
HOW DO YOU PREVENT THEFT?
At Yellow Bird, the safety and security of our customer’s possessions is one of our primary concerns. Prior to a sale, we ensure that all jewelry and high-dollar smaller items are relocated off the property until the day of the sale. We funnel our customers in using 1 entrance and 1 exit (In most cases the entrance and exit are the same area). The entrance is guarded by a staff member and the exit is our checkout area. When needed we set up mobile wireless surveillance throughout the property. All valuables are located at the checkout area. All other doors and exits are locked and secured, there is always only 1 way out of our sales !! In the event of a massive sale with many high-dollar items, we will secure privately paid law enforcement to maintain a presence. If firearms are included they will not be present on the property until the day of the sale. One or two Team Members will oversee the sale of the firearms.
WHAT AREAS DO YOU SERVICE?
We are located in the Cumming, Georgia area. However, since we specialize in large property estate sales in the Northeast Georgia areas that include farms and country estates we will travel as far as 2-3 hours in every direction. Just give us to a call to discuss.
Will you handle out-of-state Estates?
YES! Call us to discuss.
WILL PARKING BE A PROBLEM?
Every property is different. We place signs out directing where to park. We use “parking this side only” signs as a way to control parking and keep lanes open for emergency vehicles. Sometimes we need to have a parking attendant to direct traffic. We are always courteous in regards to your neighbors and make sure that cones are placed in nearby driveways so customers do not block them.
WHAT ARE YOUR FEES?
Yellow Bird offers competitive industry standards with regards to fees normal for an estate sale. We never charge a consultation fee. Our fees are LOWERE for higher priced items such as automobiles, large coin collections, large silver collections, large firearm collections….just ask! We take pride in going over every expense that you may face from the start of the process to the end. There are never any hidden fees. We operate on a percentage of the proceeds of the sale….. There will never be any hidden fees.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE SALE?
We offer an optional clearing service at a minimal fee. If you choose to use this service your property will be completely empty. This service includes setting up Charitable Donations, the clearing of all items from your home or business and a final clean so your home can be listed with your Realtor.
If you decide to handle the clearing / cleanout yourself then we will give you numbers of donation facilities and estate clearing companies that you can contact yourself.